Welcome to the No Place Like Home Campaign!
When a person leaves the hospital, the last thing he or she wants to do is to go back again anytime soon. Yet, one in five Medicare patients are readmitted to the hospital within 30 days1—and three-quarters of those readmissions could have been prevented.2
In California, this adds up to more than 151,000 Medicare patients being readmitted to the hospital each year—at a cost of $8,000–$13,000 per readmission.3
The No Place Like Home Campaign brings together hospitals, rehabilitation and skilled nursing facilities, hospices, home health agencies, community pharmacies, clinician offices, community-based organizations, and other care providers in a robust, intense effort to reduce avoidable hospital readmissions that occur within 30 days of hospital discharge.
- Prevent 30,000 avoidable readmissions within 30 days of hospital discharge by July 2014.
- Reduce the overall readmission rate for Medicare beneficiaries by 20 percent (based on claims data from Medicare 2010).
- Decrease healthcare expenditures related to readmissions—saving $240–$390 million in California each year.
California Readmission Data
The rates below are for the time period April 2011–March 2012
How to use this site
- Visit our Upcoming Events Page to learn about events, including our monthly Care Transitions Webinar Series that features nationally recognized experts on reducing readmissions and improving care transitions.
- Missed an event? Our Past Events Page features recorded Webinars on topics such as discharge planning, root cause analysis, and medication management.
- Our Resources Section is filled with information and evidence-based tools and resources to help you get started on reducing readmissions.
3National Priorities Partnership Compact Action Brief. Preventing Hospital Readmissions: A $25 Billion Opportunity. November 2010.